Monday, April 18, 2005

Dante's Discontents

Since I will be starting the Seven Circles (or some variant) in about a month, I went through the blogs today and found all of the criticisms/suggestions for improvement. Here is the result of my studies from all the Knights who have discussed it. I am going to read all of them closely over the next weeks as I plot my course to improvement. Maybe I should be called the listmaker knight...

Man de la Maza: origins of the famous Don's Inferno!
[1] [2]

Sancho Pawnza: great thoughts on maintaining a life while doing the Circles, and his training regimen, The 2-2-2 Plan (post 4 below):
[1] [2] [3][3] [4][5] [6] [7]

Pale Morning Dun: sums up some of the discussion and rationale for not doing all of the problems in CT-Art.
[1] [2]

Celtic Death: an ambitious modification of the traditional MDLM program, with lots of mini-circles followed by ubercircles.
[1]

J'Adoube's dramatic withdrawal and re-entrance into the Knights, followed by his infamous revision of MDLM, the Circles of Death:
[1] [2] [3]

Pawn Sensei: posts that he is struggling with what to do. Not sure exactly what he is doing now.
[1]

Nezha: decided to follow a book (not sure what book by Blokh), and has suggested that 500 problems may be better than 1000 for each circle:
[1][2]

Temposchlucker: I am not quite sure what he is up to: seems to have a 400 circle program over the next 32 years...:)
[1] [2]

Fussy Lizard: improving on the fly.
[1]

King of the Spill: a rapid plan using various books in addition to the Tasc Chess Tutor.
[1] [2] [3] [4]

[Note added 5/9/05: my MDLM-inspired plan, The Divine Tragedy, which takes into account many of the above strategies, is here.]

10 Comments:

Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Awesome! Heh, I just read over my old post. 30 minutes per game? What was I thinking? It takes about an hour. Thanks for that blast from the past BD.

PS

4/18/2005 06:27:00 PM  
Blogger Nezha said...

Hello,

The book was "Art of combination" By Maxim Blokh. You can buy it in amazon for about $128. I'm serious. Its good that I got mine from an second hand shop, or I would have settled for reinfield's book.

4/19/2005 12:52:00 AM  
Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey, isn't that book what CT-Art was based off of?

PS

4/19/2005 12:59:00 AM  
Blogger Nezha said...

It seem so. Although I am not 100% sure. But its a curious coincidence that I bought this book by chance, and then reading the blogs of the knights, I went - "Hey wait a minute, I have the same chapters too"!

4/19/2005 05:27:00 AM  
Blogger Pawnsensei said...

What about Santa's Helper Knight? You know, making a list and checking it twice?

PS

4/20/2005 01:58:00 PM  
Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

Great post! If I had to do it all over again, I think Don's Inferno is really the way to go. I don't think I cemented my level 20-40 problems the way I should have, and now I'm stuck in this rapid fire gauntlet of persistent failure. Not very pleased at the moment with my success and I'm having a hard figuring out if it's worth it to just plow through with high failure rates or should I drop back and modify.

4/20/2005 08:58:00 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I do the system of DLM: 400 points in 400 years.

4/21/2005 05:29:00 AM  
Blogger knightwiz said...

Good post Devil. I'll check all this suggestions for sure when I start my circles. I should be doing this in about 20 days.

4/22/2005 03:15:00 AM  
Blogger BlunderProne said...

BDK,

I realize this is a very old post and list... but my method is described here:

http://blunderprone.blogspot.com/2006/03/concentric-maze-circles-de-la-modified.html

4/28/2007 08:38:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

BP: thanks a lot. Indeed, this list deserves an update, and a place in my sidebar 'list of babies.'

Perhaps I'll solicit links soon and give this a thorough updating. J'adoube's site is different, so I need to fix that...ah the blog carpenter's work is never done.

4/28/2007 08:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home