Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A tournament for me?

I've been searching around on the NC Chess Association web site, and came across a fun-looking tournament, the Orchard Lake Tournament. It looks good, because if you look at the crosstables from last year, there are lots of players rated around 1100. There is an 'Under 1300' category which would be perfect for me. I'll need to check that it isn't a scholastic tournament that I can't participate in.

Unfortunately, it is this coming weekend, and about 3 hours away. It consists of four 30-minute games. That's kind of fast for me, but I bet it'd be fun. We'll see...I'll talk to the powers that be about how much she'll mind if I go away Friday until Sunday morning...

Any of my fellow Knights planning on playing there?

3 Comments:

Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Is it your first OTB tournament? Thrilling!

5/30/2006 06:17:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

It would be my second. A little over a year ago I was in one, to get a "baseline" reading of my talent (I literally didn't know all the rules yet: I asked one opponent how to castle queenside). I had three losses and one lucky win cuz a six-year-old left me his queen. My provisional rating is 980.

5/30/2006 07:35:00 PM  
Blogger katar said...

I think you may surprise yourself. I've seen your annotated games-- i would not want to be paired with you in U1300!

In my first tournament, being objective and patient was as much a challenge as finding good moves.

5/31/2006 06:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home