Thursday, June 22, 2006

My first 45/45 tournament game: No more pie!

I recently joined a team in the 45/45 League that plays at ICC. I play the fourth (i.e., last) board in our under 1300 division team.

I had my first game tonight, and played as black. I won. You can view an annotated version of the game here. I knew he played the Guico and that he likes to transpose to the four knights, so I prepared for that last night, which helped a lot. As usual, I played passively, but except for one move, don't think I earned any double question marks (I think I earned a few ?'s, though).

The slow time controls are fantastic: I was able to take as much time as I wanted for each move. This, in my opinion, is what chess is all about. As my opponent said afterwards, blitz games are just pie-throwing contests.

6 Comments:

Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Good game. Illustrating the power of open lines against the king. Nice rooksac. Btw, what was your plan after 5 Bxf7+ ?

6/22/2006 11:53:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

After that move, I had thought it would go something like:
5...Kxf7 6. Nxe4 d5, staking out a claim in the center. Then I would have to "manually" castle my king. That would indeed be a very tricky game, even though objectively it is better for black, he needs to be very careful his king doesn't end up in the middle of the board!

6/23/2006 01:08:00 AM  
Blogger katar said...

awesome game, terrific all around!!!!!!!!

6/23/2006 04:09:00 PM  
Blogger Friend of Plato said...

Cool.

I think I'm going to join ICC. There just seems to be a alot of cool stuff on that site.

6/24/2006 07:52:00 PM  
Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

Congrats on your win for team "Nice To Mate You." Onward and upward.

7/02/2006 11:39:00 PM  
Blogger King of the Spill said...

Kick Ass!

I also find opening preparation does reap it's rewards.

7/03/2006 02:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home