Thursday, October 26, 2006

We need more such games

Note my new high score. I don't think I'll be able to do much better than this...

OK, I'll admit it, Troyis is pretty addictive after all. Wouldn't it be cool if they had games like this, with this design quality, for lots of aspects of the game? Bookup comes close for opening study. There is also clicking on the attacked pieces (Chessbase has this), clicking on the pieces that can deliver check (Chessbase also has this), click on the squares on which you can pin/skewer/fork using a randomly chosen piece (the exercises from de la Maza's book, but it could be made way cooler with computers).

Any other ideas?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll try it sometime. Seems like a fun game :-)

10/26/2006 06:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maurice Ashley has a CD with a lot of these game-like exercises. The only weak point is that it focus on the pieces only and not on the empty squares.

10/26/2006 06:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Impressive s(c)ore!

10/27/2006 07:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your score! For me, i think actual Chess (incl books, puzzles, openings, master games) is way more addictive than Troyis!

Jim Gaffigan:
I drink a lot of coffee and I watch a lot of TV. But ya know what's really addictive? (pause)
Heroin.

10/27/2006 07:23:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Patrick: I am a reductionist, so I like to attack little simple parts of larger problems.

You seem to be more a holist: you even go through entire games just to learn mating patterns! I would rather poke my eye with a fork.

But given how good you got, it might be better to have a more holistic approach to chess. Once I'm done with these basic tactics, I'm actually going to take a much more balanced approach, slowly working through a bunch of master games.

10/28/2006 11:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You silly scientist-types are always breaking things down into isolated variables and minute components. Meanwhile the liberal arts hippies are more concerned with nebulous themes and concepts and historical trends. :)

10/28/2006 09:11:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Damned hippies.

10/29/2006 08:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting game!

I have just known about it from your post above. I tried and in my first game I scored 268660, level 10 :)

12/06/2006 04:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home