Saturday, September 08, 2007

xor versus and

In the recent Chess Carnival, Jack le Moine contrasted two approaches to solving problems, my solution-focused approach (goal to build up pattern recognition) and Reassembler's analysis-heavy approach (goal to build up calculation skills Kotov-style, one of a few techniques I discussed here for building up calculation skills as opposed to pattern recognition skills).

Obviously, these are not mutually exclusive methods or goals. Instead of staring for ten minutes and then quickly looking over the solution, or instead of staring for only one minute and then taking ten minutes to understand the solution, why not split the difference? Five minutes of analysis, five minutes of solution explanation.

This is what I'm doing in Circle 5.2 for the problems I can't solve right away. I didn't do this in Circle 5.1 because I wanted to get through it more quickly than previous first circles. It's an experiment: perhaps I will learn the problems even better when the two methods meet with a handshake, as demonstrated by Donald Rumsfeld and Saddam Hussein in the picture above.

What is xor? Find out here.

8 Comments:

Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I use the MAND method (Madman's AND). 15 minutes looking at the problem, 3 days looking at the solution.

9/08/2007 05:09:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

:)

9/08/2007 05:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BDK, my method rulez and yours droolz. ( :) joke.) Each is a useful tool for improvement, nothing more.

Thanks for the XOR link - didn't know that. No background in formal logic. (Which might explain a lot of things about me ...)

ds
reassembler.com

9/08/2007 09:31:00 PM  
Blogger takchess said...

Re :BDK, my method rulez and yours droolz.

Oh yeah. Derek well Blue Devils Rubber and you are glue what .....

sorry, had a junior high flashback.
8)

9/09/2007 07:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also use the MAND method!

9/09/2007 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Derek: FOVEA's the shiznit so get outta my grill!

9/09/2007 12:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grill? Mm... Grilled Ham XOR Cheese...

9/09/2007 01:31:00 PM  
Blogger transformation said...

wonderful!

and photo! thank you so much.

talk about swagger meets swagger.

9/10/2007 05:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home