Friday, June 19, 2009

Weekend chess blog roundup

If I didn't mention your blog, feel free to put it in the comments. These are threads where I welcome shameless plugs from fellow bloggers.

  • J'adoube gives us his annual San Francisco chess update.
  • Where is Loomis?
  • Congrats to Polly who won the Westchester Club Championship.
  • Wang is still plugging away at his chess study. The Knights Errant are dead, so it is good to have someone to follow in their systematic program of chess study.
  • Blunderprone has another great historical survey. Check out Kotov's game with the queen sac. It is just gorgeous.
  • Mark Weeks has some cool art and some useful information about the Polgar lawsuit.
  • Chessmaster or Bust has started what must be his fifteenth chess blog. What is it they say about openings? Pick one and stick with it.
  • From long ago, a wonderful poem that Atomic Patzer posted. It is a good reminder to enjoy the game, not focus on prizes. Those going to the World Open should memorize this poem.

    The Need to Win
    When an archer is shooting for nothing
    He has all his skill.
    If he shoots for a brass buckle
    He is already nervous.
    If he shoots for a prize of gold
    He goes blind
    Or sees two targets–
    He is out of his mind!
    His skill has not changed. But the prize
    Divides him. He cares.
    He thinks more of winning
    Than of shooting–
    And the need to win
    Drains him of power.
    Chuang Tzu

  • 10 Comments:

    Blogger Zweiblumen said...

    After my longish (18 month) chess layoff, I'm finally back at it. I'll start blogging about it again soon, and I'll give you a head's up when I do. I'm thinking of installing my own wordpress and merging all my online identities into one on my own server....I feel that I'm suffering from online identity diffusion....

    If I change my blog location, I'll post about it.

    6/19/2009 12:48:00 PM  
    Blogger BlunderProne said...

    "... The Knights Errant are dead, so it is good to have someone to follow in their chess study."

    We are not dead... transformed... evolved maybe..but not dead.

    Every time you read my history lessons you are getting the fruits of my studying. I decided to study whole games to see how tactics evolve out of good positional play. I also get a good feel for how openings evolve over time.
    I may be on a new quest, miles from the seven circles of hell, but the beasts are still there. My senses have to be sharper to see them.

    6/19/2009 09:50:00 PM  
    Blogger Polly said...

    That is a nice poem. I need to remember that tomorrow when I'm competing in a Tae Kwon Do tournament. Focus on doing my form for myself. Easier said then done. I've been a bundle of nerves every time I do it front of the class.

    6/19/2009 10:05:00 PM  
    Blogger CMoB said...

    LOL! But first you gotta find one that suits your style and taste (although the viewer played a roll as well). I think i finally did this time :)

    Thank's for the mention. Couldn't wish for better advertisement.

    6/19/2009 11:54:00 PM  
    Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

    Blunderprone: Yes, the influence is still here with those of us that have taken up the challenge in the past. But as far as active Knights doing the Circles, that is a breed that seems to have died out with one exception (Sir Banatt).

    6/20/2009 01:28:00 AM  
    Blogger From the patzer said...

    "The Knights Errant are dead"

    Or maybe the combination of the seven circles and blogging about it is to much work so that people rather focussing on the circles and not on the blogging.

    But then again, with a secretary that is silent for months(with a good reason nevertheless) others are more reluctant to join.

    In other news, wish i had blogged more but having to go six days a week to work this entire month has made me more tired then i want to admit.

    6/20/2009 08:01:00 AM  
    Blogger Loomis said...

    Loomis is at a different URL than you have linked to, blog.chess.com/Loomis and hasn't blogged in a while due to new job and lack of something really awesome to say.

    6/22/2009 07:43:00 AM  
    Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

    Thanks Loomis. I guess they changed the acceptable URL formats for blogs there, as that used to work.

    6/22/2009 08:36:00 AM  
    Anonymous atomicpatzer said...

    Thanks for the mention! I didn't think anybody was paying attention to my blog so I let it lapse. You have inspired me to pick it up again.

    6/22/2009 09:00:00 PM  
    Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

    Atomic patzer let us know once you start up again. That would be great!

    6/23/2009 02:18:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home